Since I Moved In (new & revised). Chax Press, 2019. This new & revised edition of my 2007 book features an Introduction by poet and scholar Joy Ladin. / / Reviews of this book: Bayou Magazine (2021), Feminist Theory (2019), Tarpaulin Sky (2019), Silliman’s Blog (2007), Talisman (2007), Boog City (2007)
Troubling the Line: Trans and Genderqueer Poetry and Poetics. Nightboat Books, 2013. I co-edited this book, the first-ever anthology of poetry by trans writers, with poet TC Tolbert. It was a Finalist for the Lambda Literary Awards, in the LGBT Anthology category. / / Reviews of this book: University of Arizona Poetry Center Blog (2022), Kenyon Review (2021), Poets House (2019), Library Journal (2016), Waxwing (2015), Jacket2 (2014), Poetry (2014), TSQ (2014), Poetry Off the Shelf (2014), Rain Taxi (2013), Make/Shift (2013), Los Angeles Review of Books (2013), Harvard Gazette (2013), HTMLGIANT (2013), Lambda Literary Review (2013)
Book Chapters and Peer-Reviewed Journals
- “Poetry as Trans Literature,” in The Routledge Handbook of Trans Literature, Ed. Douglas Vakoch. Routledge/Taylor & Francis, 2023. Forthcoming.
- “Trans Poetry and Poetics,” in A Companion to American Poetry. Ed. Mary Balkun, Jeffrey Gray, and Paul Jaussen. Wiley Blackwell, 2022.
- “Poetry and Poetics,” in The SAGE Encyclopedia of Trans Studies, Ed. Abbie Goldberg and Genny Beemyn. SAGE Publications, 2021.
- “New Narrative and Pre Narrative: Time, Identity, and the Persistence of the Salad Bar in kari edwards’ Writing,” in From Our Hearts to Yours: New Narrative as Contemporary Practice, Ed. Rob Halpern and Robin Tremblay-McGaw. ON Contemporary Practice, 2017.
- “Becoming a Trans Poet: Samuel Ace, Max Wolf Valerio, and kari edwards.” TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly, vol 1, no. 4. Duke University Press. December 2014. [peer reviewed]
- “Either You’re With Us and Against Us: Charles Bernstein’s Girly Man, 9-11, and the Brechtian Figure of the Reader.” in The Salt Companion to Charles Bernstein, Ed. William Allegrezza. Salt Publishing, 2012.
- “Fuck Transcendence: A Close Reading of kari edwards’ bharat jiva,” in No Gender: Reflections on the Life and Work of kari edwards. Ed. Julian T. Brolaski, erica kaufman, and E. Tracy Grinnell. New York, NY: Litmus Press/Belladonna Books, 2009.
- “Either You’re With Us and Against Us: Charles Bernstein’s Girly Man, 9-11, and the Brechtian Figure of the Reader.” Electronic Book Review, March 9, 2008. [peer reviewed] (reprinted in The Salt Companion to Charles Bernstein, Ed. William Allegrezza. Salt Publishing, 2012.)
- “Distorted Figures: Mannerist Similes and the Body in David Shapiro’s Poetry.” Burning Interiors: David Shapiro’s Poetry and Poetics. Ed Thomas Fink and Joseph Lease. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson UP, 2007: 138-151.
- Editor, “New Media Poetics and Poetics” Issue. Leonardo Electronic Almanac. vol 14 no 5-6. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2006. This is the first edited collection of scholarly writings that featured literary critical analysis of new media poetry. I edited the issue and managed the peer review process. My Introduction was titled “New Media Poetry and Poetics from Concrete to Codework: Praxis in Networked and Programmable Media.” [peer reviewed]
Essays, Interviews, and Reviews
- “Joy Ladin Seeks Answers to the Meaning of Trauma, Suffering, Gender and Empathy” (an interview with Joy Ladin and Trace Peterson). by Dawn Ennis. Forbes, April 2022.
- “Interview with Trace Peterson,” by Christina Firl. Bayou Magazine, Jan 2021.
- “But I Did Learn to Swim: A Few Memories of Kevin Killian.” The Brooklyn Rail, Sept 2019.
- “Identity, Praxis, and kari edwards’ Trans Poetics: An Interview with Trace Peterson.” 1508: A Blog Where Poetry Lives, University of Arizona Poetry Center Newsletter, April 27, 2017. You can also read this interview here.
- “Queer Poets on the Poems that Changed Their Lives.” Academy of American Poets, May 24, 2016
- “No Spell Broken: on CA Conrad’s Somatic Midge.” Podcast for Al Filreis’ PoemTalk program, Jacket2. Nov 2015. The other podcast participants included Gabriel Ojeda-Sague and erica kaufman.
- “Poet Creates First Class in Transgender Poetry,” by Corinne Segal. This article about my class at Hunter College appeared on PBS Newshour. July 2015.
- “What does gender have to do with it? A new anthology of trans and genderqueer poetry and poetics.” Podcast for The Poetry Foundation’s Poetry Off The Shelf program. August 2014. The other podcast participant was my co-editor TC Tolbert.
- “Editorial Statement for Queering Language.” Reading Queer, Dec 2013.
- “In Conversation with TC Tolbert and Trace Peterson: The Troubled Line.” Lambda Literary Review, May 17, 2013.
- “Attention Span 2011.” Third Factory, 2011. This article contains reviews of Stealth by Samuel Ace and Maureen Seaton, Delinquent by Mina Pam Dick, Click and Clone by Elaine Equi, Underground National by Sueyeun Juliette Lee, And If You Don’t Go Crazy I’ll Meet You Here Tomorrow by Filip Marinovich, Table Alphabetical of Hard Words by Pattie McCarthy, Territories of Folding by TC Tolbert, As Landscape by Mark Weiss, and others.
- “Review of Clampdown, by Jennifer Moxley.” The Poetry Project Newsletter, Apr/May 2010, #223.
- “Review of Unexplained Presence, by Tisa Bryant.” Boog City, March 2009.
- “My kari edwards,” ON: Contemporary Practice (journal), 2008.
- “Review of Around Sea by Brenda Iijima, and Born2 by Allison Cobb,” The Poker 5, Winter 2005.
- “Innovation, Salvage and the Second Wave.” Interview with Ruth Lepson, RAIN TAXI, Spring 2005.
- “Five Questions with [Trace] Peterson of the Analogous Series,” by Shin Yu Pai. Big Red and Shiny, Jan 2005.
- “Review of A Burning Interior by David Shapiro” Harvard Review 27, 2004: 192-194.
- “Review of Some Values of Landscape and Weather by Peter Gizzi” Harvard Review 26, 2004: 195-197.
- “The Truth-Teller.” Interview with David Ray, RAIN TAXI, Summer 2003.
- “Review of Priceless Children: American Photographs 1890-1925.” RAIN TAXI, Spring 2003.
- “Rootless Elegiac: An Interview with Ann Lauterbach.” RAIN TAXI, Summer 2002.
- “An Interview with Ann Lauterbach,” University of Arizona Poetry Center Newsletter, Spring 2002.
- “Review of Ex Libris, by Ralph Gibson.” RAIN TAXI, Fall 2001.
- Please visit my poetry publications page.